Monday, January 28, 2008

Columbus and some Mack-tastic Music Making

Greetings, friends.


I spent the weekend in a Columbus, Ohio, studio tracking guitars and imbibing scotch with my friend, retro-sexual raconteur Matt Mackey. Though Matt spent some of his high school years in Ohio, outside of Cleveland, he has spent most of his time in warmer climes since, namely Virginia, and as of late, Orlando, Florida. As such, he seemed to be having some difficulty accepting the state of Ohio weather, and his body didn’t seem to put up with it either, since he came down with something on Sunday morning. Being the retro-trooper that he is (Sean Connery would be proud) he muscled through some final background vocals before running to catch a plane for home. I’m feeling quite pleased with the way his record is shaping up, and I’m glad to be a part of it; I hope that we get a chance to tour behind this in the near future. We cut basic tracks in Nashville about two weeks ago, with the rhythm section of Matt Mangano and Josh Robinson, both of whom we’re incredibly kind and funny, and both of whom killed it on the tracks—musician speak for “played great” (in Mackey speak: “are you tasting the sauce they brought to the table?”). I believe the record will be out in late April, and I hope that you’ll check it out.


Meanwhile, I had my Flip video camera hanging out at the session, and it wasn’t long before Mackey discovered it and began to document. Here is a little taste of the sauce we were bringing.


No comments: